Edited to add: I went back and recounted and I forgot about a white Old Navy tank top and a Children’s Place skort bringing the grand total of bargains to nine for $29!
I thought I’d focus on frugal kids’ fashion today for Fashion Friday give you some tips for shopping second hand, specifically at Goodwill.
Goodwill is one of my favorite second-hand stores in Nashville. I typically hit one of our local Goodwill stores about once every 4 to 6 weeks. I like to call this retail excavation. You never know what you’re going to find once you start digging!
On my most recent shopping mission to Goodwill I left with nine items for my girls for just $29, ranging from brands such as Mini Boden, The Children’s Place, GAP, and Talbots.
Goodwill is a great place to find frugal prices on kids’ clothing. Here are a few tips:
- Clothes are organized by gender, size and color, which is really helpful if you are looking for a specific color scheme such as shirts in shades of green or denim, for example. I love buying my girls jeans at Goodwill because they are very inexpensive ($3.49 for older kids’ sizes and $2.49 for younger kids’ sizes) and I can find name brands such as Old Navy or Justice for a fraction of the normal mall retail price.
- If you’re looking at kids’ clothing specifically you might want to skip over the white section completely. Kids are notoriously tough on whites!
- Goodwill tags are color-coded; look for the weekly special on certain color tags.
- Our local Middle Tennessee Goodwill stores host a 1/2 price sale on ALL clothing one Saturday a month, which is a great sale to hit if you can get to the store early.
- Allow plenty of time to browse (or as I like to say, dig.)
- You have 14 days to exchange items with your receipt and tag attached (there are no cash refunds.)
- Go shopping at Goodwill with an open mind and a general goal to maximize your shopping time. On my recent shopping trip I went with the mission to find my girls some spring play clothes.
Do you ever shop at consignment or thrift stores?
Savvy Housewife is a shopping and product review blog featuring product reviews, great giveaways, and fabulous finds. Be sure to subscribe to the RSS feed as well as visit and subscribe to my main mom blog, BlondeMomBlog.com, for more great content from this 41-year-old Nashville working mom to two girls.